SilentSusan
SilentSusan asked:

Would this book count as a childrens book along with a young adult?

To answer questions about The Monstrumologist, please sign up.
Theo Meyer Well. its intended for ages 13-17, but I read it younger than that, and I didn't have nightmares or anything. But I wouldn't recommend it for any younger than eleven, considering the graphic scenes and gore. It also depends on the maturity of the reader.
Marie Using "intended for ages 13-17" as the definition of young adult, I would call this a young adult book. Some younger readers might enjoy it if they are 1) not squeamish and 2) strong readers, but I don't see them as the target audience.
Vanessa J. I wouldn't say this book is for such a young audience. I really loved it and I recommend it wholeheartedly, but the violence is too graphic for them, I think. Also, kids might not be familiar with most of the vocabulary in the book. Not only for the terms used in the era in which this book is set, but because of some scientific vocabulary too. Actually, I wouldn't even tag this as Young-Adult. What defines it anyway? I think it depends on the maturity of the reader and if he/she is willing to read about some gory and monstrous stuff.
Brandon Griesbaum Depending on the age of your kid I would not recommend this book. As an adult reader I loved it, but the violence is graphic and prolific. Death is all too common as well as questionable moral fiber of certain characters.

Great for teens and adults alike... probably a little too much for the youngins'
Image for The Monstrumologist