Leslie Rupley
Leslie Rupley asked:

I read this book about twenty years ago. The feeling remains with me, but I can't remember details although it lived with me for many years. I recommend reading it and look forward to the discussion to jog my memory. I may even reread. About two years ago I bought a used copy of Sigrid Undset's Ida Elizabeth hoping for the same engagement, but I couldn't get into it. Anyone read it?

To answer questions about Kristin Lavransdatter, please sign up.
Connie Brown I read one or two of Undset's shorter books, but they didn't have the power of the two big ones. I met Kristin Lavransdattar in 1961 and loved it. Later in '62 I read The Master of Hestviken, also really long. It hit me at an important moment in my life, when I briefly thought Ayn Rand knew what she was talking about. Then I read The Master . . . and realized that Undset deeply knew human nature and that AR did not.
Anne I read Ida Elizabeth two years ago while working in a college library with lots of old books. It captivated and tore the heart out of me; I think I read most of it in a single evening and wrote a couple thousand words of free-writing about the raw emotion it evoked.
Susan Leslie, I read Kristin 30 years ago, but just recently found it on Audible. Listen to it; it's gorgeous. Reminds me why it's the best book I've ever read!
Sandy I, too, read Kristin Lavransdatter back in the early 90s, I think. I loved it then, and found her story relevant and relatable. I started to re-read it recently, but found the sheer mass daunting, but then I downloaded a copy to my kindle and that has made a huge difference, much lighter and easier to handle! At 1100+ pages it's not for everyone, but reading it twice tells you something!
C Elizabeth I read Sigrid Unset's writings in the 1960s, and then recently found Kristin Lavransdatter on our local library's shelves. You might enjoy the newest book by writer Sherry Jones, the Sharp Hook of Love about a young medieval philosopher, diverted into a passionate partnership with her teacher.
Amy
Lisa I just started reading the newish Nunnally translation and am loving it!
Karen Same here, Leslie... tho for me 40+ years ago and still recall how mesmerised I was and how proud to have finished such an epic saga. But as for the narrative details?...no, can't say that I recall much beyond the constant journeying, hunger, pain and suffering, love and lust cravings... all the stuff that makes a good saga. Think I'll pick up a new translation.
Image for Kristin Lavransdatter