Lila
Lila asked:

Has anyone read anything similar to Portrait? What I found especially remarkable about it was how it preserved ingenuity without becoming too bizarre and disjointed like Ulysses. I also loved the beauty in Joyce's writing style. It felt like reading an imagist poem, but even better! Let me know :)

Yonina Yes, check out A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing by Eimear McBride. It is very self-consciously "doing" Joyce but doing it in a new way and from a new perspective (a young woman).
Sequoyah Yukio Mishima’s Confession’s of a Mask is similar in scope, being that it also follows a child’s formative moments until he becomes a troubled young man. Only in Mishima’s book, the child is struggling with sadistic homosexuality rather than religion. It does not compare with Joyce’s writing by any means, and the child’s behavior seems fairly unrealistic; whereas, Stephen’s childhood emotions felt truly real and I felt empathy towards him. Regardless, you might be interested in checking it out for yourself to see how it compares.
Image for A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man