Amber
Amber asked Melissa Marr:

Will you ever incorporate a more 'alternative' style in your characters in the future, like WL? I've read interviews from the past and, if I'm not mistaken, you said that it was inspired by your daughter/her want for a set of characters with a more different dress. Does this speak to you as well? Thank you for your wonderful contribution to the reading and writing community/world. It's truly beautiful. :)

Melissa Marr I rarely describe what people are wearing because I think it's limiting to do so. On rare occasion I do so, but I tend to focus more on voices, walk, hair. The tattoo thing is a sort of family focus. I have had about 40 hours of tattooing over the years, and my spouse is also very tattooed. He's not pierced, but when he enlisted MANY years ago he had a purple mohawk. I've never had a mohawk, but over the years there were nose ring (20s), lip ring (until last year when the toddler ripped it out), & industrial.

Our daughter was irritated that tattooed and otherwise decorated people were being represented as "in need of being saved" or as "bad" in so many places. For obvious reasons, that's troubling to her (& us), so when I wrote, I made sure to include decorated people like us :)