Goodreads asked Richard Finney:

Richard Finney I've never had writer's block.
I always start with a Road Map.
A road map makes sure I stay on course.
Sure I might not visit every interesting or curious attraction along the way, but I always finish my journey.
I believe the best creative adventures are ones that come to the mind wild and crazy. But after deciding to make the trip, one is best served by working out a plan, not written in stone, but on paper.
I like my road maps to be detailed, but not too thick, so I can fold it up and stick it in the back of my jeans pocket. I want to be able to pull it out when I'm tempted to take a detour by an attractive road sign or by hearing good advice from a fellow traveler.
I have found a really good road map encourages you to take such detours.
When you're in the mood to try something daring, there's nothing better than the security of knowing how to get back on the road that leads to... the end.