Richard Kennedy
Richard Kennedy asked Lisa Jakub:

I wanted to say that I've read your blog for......... I think a couple of years but not sure. I do know I enjoy all you've had to write about and I think you'd be most enjoyable to know. I am always concerned about publicly identified personalities and how they might be compromised or impaired by ridiculous comments from their theoretical fan base. Americans are not always the kindest of fans.

Lisa Jakub First of all - thank you, for reading the blog and for asking a question. Second - great question.

You're right, there is a lot of ridiculousness that gets thrown around. I wish it were just aimed at public people, but it's not - everyone is fair game. Humans tend to be a very judgmental bunch. If I were a working mom, I'd get bashed for that...if I were a stay-at-home mom, I'd get bashed for that. As it is, I get criticized for not being a mom at all! We find all kinds of reasons to fault one another. Does it hurt? Yes. Is it a universal pain? Yes. I try to take some comfort in that.

I also love this Gandhi quote: "I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet." I can't control what other people do, only how I respond. And it's helpful to realize that some people just like to leave their dirty, judgemental footprints all over the place.

All that being said, I've found the vast majority of people to be wonderfully kind and supportive. It's actually been shocking and has reaffirmed my faith in the internet community. (Well....Huffpost commenters aside...because if you read the comments, you are just asking for a whole lot of dirty footprints...)