Jed
Jed asked:

Is there any book as visceral and as immediate and gritty like this one? It doesn't have to be a heroin addict. I just love the prose, the way he sais stuff like "She was a prostitute had her leg on the wall and all" Any recomandations?

To answer questions about The Basketball Diaries, please sign up.
Todd Dawson-Cooper I'm glad to see Welsh, Palahniuk, Burroughs and especially Rollins referenced here -- but the absolute best recommendation in my opinion would be anything by Hubert Selby Jr -- particularly 'Last Exit to Brooklyn' and 'Requiem For A Dream', both are very, very, dark, viceral and gritty pieces of fiction, but if you're looking for another memoir, I'd recommend 'Will Work For Drugs' by Lydia Lunch.
Annabelle I suggest Irvine Welsh's "Trainspotting." It's about a group of heroin addicts in late 80's Edinburgh. In the beginning it is a little difficult to get into because of the heavy Scottish accent Welsh writes in, however you eventually get the hang of it. It's a really funny book, the humor is very dark.
Meghan Portillo Henry Rollins!! He is an amazing writer!! (I never use this many explanation points without expletives involved.) It's hard to recommend any one book ... but I would suggest "See A Grown Man Cry" and "... Now Watch Him Die" ... they complement each other. He writes poems/verse, prose, journal entries ... he's just all kinds of amazing.
Kaitlin Definitely '"Junky" by Burroughs
Laura I'm currently reading this one, absolutely in love! I'd suggest any book of Bukowski, Palahniuk, Burroughs, maybe Vonnegut. Chuck Palahniuk's Choke or Survivor, to be exact.
Massiel Orozco I haven't read this book yet, so I may be off in my suggestion, but how about Junot Diaz? e.g. Drown and This is How You Lose Her
Image for The Basketball Diaries