Penny
Penny asked:

I'm a youth services librarian at our local public library - would any of you who've read this classify this as Young Adult (13-18 year olds) or Adult (over 18)?

To answer questions about The Boy Who Drew Monsters, please sign up.
Susan Zinner I just read this and feel that it is more adult than YA, but mature YA readers could enjoy this.
Megan Definitely adult--the main characters are the parents, and there's a lot of violence that wouldn't be suitable for a younger teen.
Kim McGee I would say it is adult but older teens would really enjoy it. Horror stories have a way of crossing age groups. There are some adult situations that would prevent me from suggesting it to younger teens.
Penny Many of my library YA patrons are in poverty, and have violence and/or drugs in their world, even if not in their own family. Therefore, they have a 'taste' for novels which reflect their world and can possibly take them out of it, (and into someone else's mind). From what I've read of the book and the reviews, my patrons would enjoy this as a book club read. I try to teach critical thinking to my YA patrons who don't always learn that skill in school or at home. They are street-wise, intelligent adolescents - critical thinking - (from what do you think might happen next?, how can you explain this boy's behavior?, his parents'? to how could any of this be changed, if at all?) - is essential to succeed. While this is not a 'how-to-succeed' novel, it allows for a greater discussion about good, evil, parenting, and perception. I will need to get a copy of the whole book and read it for myself before making that decision, but for right now, that's my reasoning. I hope this helped.
lauren I just finished reading this and was thinking it'd be a good book for a young adult reader. I don't think there is really violence in the book- creepy mysterious things, mention of dead bodies, fear, yes. But all said it was fairly wholesome.
Avery Rigazio The book reads like a young adult novel but with the violence and several sexual scenes I would recommend that only mature or adult audiences should read.
Lola Kaye I haven't read it yet but in our library it is located in Adult Fiction.
Becky Tolrud This book would appeal to up to 14 years max. I'm a 6th grade English Teacher and I have read the book. It is wonderful, great for 11 to 12 years old. I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to the more dreamy artistic kids, not hard core urban or shallow older kids. The violence is not of a malicious real type, its not worse than any other fantastical violence.
Jake Matson Dont forget about the mild sexual content.
Chris Because of one scene in particular, it is certainly an adult title.
Zach Rupprath I am curious about this title because I am buying the CDB for my county and all of my sources are telling me it's adult fiction. I am wondering what makes you think it's YA.
Image for The Boy Who Drew Monsters
by Keith Donohue (Goodreads Author)