Ian Klinck
Ian Klinck asked:

Goodreads lists this as a series with "Gate Crashers", but I don't see any indication that the stories are really connected (the books aren't even numbered on the series page). Should I read Gate Crashers first, or are they more on the lines of "two separate stories in the same universe"?

To answer questions about Starship Repo, please sign up.
Patrick Tomlinson Hello, Ian. Sorry I missed this question before now. Short answer, Gate Crashers and Starship Repo are set in a shared universe called The Breach, but share little in the way of characters or plot. Indeed, there's only one character from GC that makes a cameo in SR. We wanted Repo to be a new jumping off point for readers just hearing about The Breach. That said, they're both fun, fast reads. Tackle them however you like.
Pat Powers I've read both. Both are set in the same universe. This book occurs years after the events in Gate Crashers, with entirely different characters. I don't think you need to read Gate Crashers in order to enjoy Starship Repo. That said, reading Gate Crashers first will make it easier to understand the milieu in which Starship Repo is set. A minor consideration, really. Any experienced SF reader will do just fine reading Starship Repo as a standalone. Gate Creashers is a really good read, though.
Image for Starship Repo
by Patrick S. Tomlinson (Goodreads Author)