Chris
Chris asked:

I wonder if the author is aware that, statistically speaking, men don't read as much as women because as boys, they had that love of reading snuffed out of them? But no, a man who manages to defy the odds and gain a love of reading the classics is just dubbed as a "mansplainer" for daring to take an interest in what he's passionate about.

Maddie If your takeaway from this book is that Dana is trying to deter men from reading the classics, I think you've misunderstood the point of the book and the specific type of male reader/writer archetype that Dana is clearly satirizing.

She isn't telling you to stop reading Bukowski or David Foster Wallace. If anything, "The White Man's Guide" is asking you to think about how the work of great male writers has always relied on the invisible labour of the women in their lives. As well, I think Dana does a great job of highlighting the undercurrent of misogyny within the Western Canon. She's not cancelling Bellow, she's questioning why so many "great" writers believed that "women are the rails on which men run."
Image for The White Man's Guide to White Male Writers of the Western Canon
by Dana Schwartz (Goodreads Author)