Laura
Laura asked:

Did anyone else have a love/hate relationship with this book?? Some of what I loved about it, I also hated. I loved the language and poetry and how it felt like a fable, but also was confused and frustrated by some of the vague language and things left open to interpretation. I gets and extra star for being so thought provoking in that way. I LOVED the first half. Struggled the rest, but glad I finished it.

To answer questions about The Overstory, please sign up.
Nancy I loved the first part of the book and absolutely hated the middle section. The final sections were ok, but the book was entirely too long.
Sunny Yu I definitely did! My reaction is kind of the opposite, though. I didn't like the first half--I actually thought the detailed early life stories of each character was kind of boring and irrelevant to the major plot development. I didn't like the book at all until the "trunk" section. I agree with you that the language and poetry are great, but I think the book starts to get really exciting when the characters come together and experience direct conflicts with the law and faced tough choices. I agree that many things are open to interpretation, but I think the author does it in quite a straightforward way as the characters react to the events in the book--it was an opportunity for the author to comment and reflect too, so I think those parts are pretty clear. Anyways, I definitely agree with you that I had a love/hate relationship with the book. Glad you finished, though!
Jeff Cardello There were some really brilliant parts of this book, and as a science nerd, so much that I appreciated. But it just felt like it was trying to be too many things at once. Glad I read it, but at the end I was really looking for it to be over.
Image for The Overstory