Roshy
Roshy asked:

Why women are underestimated in this book? I don't understand , why shows woman as a devil? Can some one explain to me what kazantzakis want to say through this?!

To answer questions about Zorba the Greek, please sign up.
John Kazantzakis was an author, who critisized the Greek society, and he was panished from Greek Church, and authorities who was placed from Turks, and was not accepted from Greeks. Doesnt mean that he had all those believes. I certainly like because also he saw me how Greek people suffered and changed their ideas because of Turkey occupation. And today is one of the best author of his era, and very popular in the world, i believe.
Շամրիկ Խաչատրյան Kazantzakis does not underestimate women in this book, he just portrayed the society during a particular period of time.
James (JD) Dittes This is a good question. I think that, even for its time, the Crete portrayed in the book was traditional and conservative in its mores--in religion, in its trades & agriculture, and in its treatment of women. The book doesn't date very well on that account.

But it is important to note how the female characters bring out the major differences between Zorba and the narrator regarding their treatment of flesh vs Spirit.

Strangely though, the death of the widow doesn't cause the narrator to question Cretan society (which is how people react to similar. sexist "honor killings" today) but to wax philosophically about death.
Sarah The author is a bit of a sexist and trying to explain things he didn't understand - i.e. women...
Deian Petrov Zorba also says that God and the Devil are one and the same, perhaps he meant the same in case of women.
jordan Its based upon the context of the book from where and how this story takes place..
Silver Shathar women are not underestimated in this book , they are just described as the weakest creatures and that's how things were at that time..
Image for Zorba the Greek