Michael Domnin

Why does this book change your life?

Stephen Byrne It makes you realise that your life is precious and that some things, that we ignore, are crucial, and others, that we place so much value on, are relatively unimportant. Examples would be breathing and thinking. It changed my life. It is one of the few books I've recommended to people over the last 20 years. Those that read it are always abundantly grateful to me afterwards. It is replete with wisdom. Dan Milman and the man called Socrates, 'Soc', are embedded in my psyche. It is helpful for overcoming the fear of death. Indeed it is a brilliant coping manual for life.
Galal It shifts your focus to "now" and " here" thus regaining your senses and enabling you to perform and enjoy life.
Joanie It makes you think and imagine.
Michael I agree that the book reveals some crucial insights, that perhaps it's even 'inspirational.' The worldview comment is also true. However, IMO, it became too much of a good thing without adding value as the author rambled on and on. I didn't see it so much about 'discovering myself as a person,' but it did help me to evaluate my points of vulnerability to my own "monkey-mind" way of looking at certain issues. A helpful book, not an outstanding book to me.
Andrew Linderer I would say that it's inspirational. But underneath that it assumes a drastically different worldview than most western people are accustomed to. It's a book about discovering yourself as a person but "self" has a very different definition.
Image for Way of the Peaceful Warrior