Gail
Gail asked:

Am I the only one who just could not read this book? Yuk!

To answer questions about Children of God, please sign up.
Samantha Whaaaat. This and the Sparrow are a few of my favorite books of all time.
Paul Feldioreanu I'd be curios to find out why. It is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, this and the sparrow, I sort of read them back to back as on book.
Darren Agreed, its a very poorly written sequel. It adds very little to the story and I wish I hadn't bothered.
George Clearly not. There's Bruce Humbert's slightly helpful opinion below, and dozens of 1-star reviews on this site, some of them eloquent.

Now let me ask you something--and I'm seeking information with this, not being merely rhetorical:

What's the point of posting a question like this? Being devoid of specifics, your question is of no use to anyone else. So it's not likely to elicit opinions illuminating for you or anyone else--Humbert's response is an outlier in that respect.

So why do you--or anyone else--take the trouble to post such a question?
Bruce Humbert I have no desire/intent to waste my time on a sequel to one of the worst books ever. I found rhe Sparrow pointless, pathetic and pornographic
Anne I loved The Sparrow and eagerly started this book right after finishing it. I never finished it. Just terrible.
Miles Me too. I read The Sparrow, I liked it in spite of its numerous faults, and so I tried this one, but I could reach only halfway through. Like you probably do, I find it hard to believe that so many people liked it, because I am confident that I could show, page by page, the many ways in which this book is worthless. Maybe the second half is a great masterpiece, who knows.
John Did you read "The Sparrow" beforehand?
Image for Children of God
by Mary Doria Russell (Goodreads Author)