Nayan
Nayan asked:

My reading of Shakespeare is limited to some of his plays, and this was my first time with sonnets. May be when I read it again, after sometime, I will begin to understand a little more. Any of you share my views?

To answer questions about Sonnets, please sign up.
Anna Patterson Yes, definitely. I had not read them in some time. When I first started reading this again, I thought, I don't even understand this anymore. But I decided to come back again and read the same sonnet, one sentence at a time. I even read this out loud because I believe a poem is just a song which hasn't been put to music yet. Of course Shakespeare has, because if you read it several times it not only becomes easier to read, but you can begin to see the beauty of the words.
Akemi G. Definitely. And Shakespeare is always there for you.
(And it's okay to like only select sonnets, not all of them. May I suggest #18, 33, 75? Or you might like the wordplay of #135.)
Cynda I have better wrapped my brain around the sonnets this time. Because I have had more gay/bisexuals friends and because our society to more open about sexuality, I have better guidance from scholars about how to read he sonnets. (I first read Bevington who at the time, at least, was less open to homoerotic eadings.)
Please note that I am not talking about all of the sonnets, some were/may have been written in honor of a woman.
Miguel Shakespeare's sonnets themselves have more to it than meets the eye. Quite like the plays, there is enough depth for you to explore and find meaning to, and behind every word there is a web to entangle your senses and perception. You'll soon find yourself experiencing the emotions you're being led to, and making your own poetry within the meaning you grasp. I am certain you will understand not only the sonnets, but the genius Shakespeare is, and eventually you'll be reading and interpreting through the author's point of view.

Cheers!
Image for Sonnets