Joyce
Joyce asked:

To answer questions about Ella Enchanted, please sign up.
Jana Also, we see in the book multiple times that orders override each other if they are contradicting, so if someone said, "Quit being so obedient, Ella!" and then someone else said, "Ella, do this thing," I think the more current order is what she would have to do, because she isn't obedient due to an order, but to a curse. I think the curse would trump that order.
Emily Savage What a silly question! That would defeat the purpose of the entire novel, it would be but one chapter long! Also, the fairy Lucinda I'm sure is smart enough to make it so that wouldn't be possible. The book said they tried everything, I'm sure it included your idea.
Anneke It takes place in an older time. Wouldn't that be kind of rude as well?
Eve They kind of did, really. Her new family didn't get it, so they ordered her about as they pleased to annoy her and for their own amusement. Heddie actually does say your a freak several times, right? And if they did it in the way your suggesting, it would defeat the purpose and moral of the novel.
Image for Ella Enchanted
by Gail Carson Levine (Goodreads Author)