Is
Is asked:

I want to give this book a chance, but I know what happens to Jamie later on in this book. The whole ordeal with Black Randall, but is it explicit?Like really detailed?

To answer questions about Outlander, please sign up.
Nicole Claire doesn't watch it happen, she is told the story after the fact. So while you don't get an exact description, it is told in a way where you can picture what is happening, and it is pretty horrific.
Darlene Schara I agree with Beckah. Most of the scenes of this nature, and even the sex, are NOT explicit. There is a lot of "fade-to-black", and things written in a way that let you understand what happened without giving you every single move and breath.
Beckah It is not really explicit or detailed it does come up but it roundabout ways, and Jamie does tell Claire some but it is not horrible. You feel sad for him that Jonathon did it to him but at the same time you commend him for his bravery.
Elizabeth I read this book 12 years ago while I was on my way to Scotland to get married. I liked the storyline and I have watched the first three seasons of the series. But I _still_ wish I could un-read that part of the first book and have skipped those scenes at the end of season 1. When I saw that they were making a series out of these books, my first thought was, "How are they going to do that without the brutal prison rape?"
Wendie I'm very sensitive to torture scenes (avoid or walk out of movies with them, etc) and found that part of the book difficult. I'd say it goes into quite a lot of detail although much of it adds to the characters development. Nevertheless, I eventually skipped over those sections and otherwise liked the book quite a lot.
Caroline Lay
Mrs L E Slade
Lora Swafford It's not very explicit.
Leigh Taylor I cried a lot because of the Jack Randall ordeal, it is very emotional. But I honestly think it made me love Jamie and Claire more as characters, and added something that really emotionally invested me in them even more than I was (which was a lot). It can get quite detailed at times, but I would not change it for the world.
Tina That part ruined the book for me. I thought it was senseless, and pointless to the story.
Image for Outlander
by Diana Gabaldon (Goodreads Author)