Liu
Liu asked:

Is George the son of Richard? wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_the_Funeral) says "George Crossfield, supposedly the nephew to Richard Abernethie but actually the son, solicitor in a stock broker's office, and an Abernethie heir" I'm a bit lost -- I only read the book's Chinese version, but got no impression that George is Richard's son. Is it I missed something? or the translation is incomplete?

To answer questions about After the Funeral, please sign up.
Miguel Ros In the book, George is Richard's nephew and that's all. He becomes the son of Helen in the TV movie with David Suchet. And then it turns out, in the TV movie I mean, he's Richard's son with Helen, instead of Leo's son with Helen.
Whitney George is Richard's nephew. He was Richard's sister Laura's son. They must have lost the gist of the relationship in the translation.
Gerald Hickman I was confused too. But I enjoy Poirot and the author's method of communicating the culture of the English in the early 20th century.
Greg "The Abernethie Family Tree" in the edition I read (Bantam's 'Agatha Christie Hardcover Collection, 1984) shows that George is the son of Laura Abernethie and Rex Crossfield, both deceased. Laura is Richard Abernethie's sister, so yes, George is Richard's nephew. That said, George would normally be in line to inherit everything because Richard's only son, Mortimer, is deceased. So, in effect, it appears the translator's intention is to convey that George has become 'son #1' as far as the inheritance goes. George does not inherit everything because Richard learns that George is a mess and can't be trusted with the family fortune. But all this is conveyed in the first few pages, so not a spoiler.
Image for After the Funeral