Haley Hamill
Haley Hamill asked:

The prize for the winner of the sheriff's shooting contest was a golden arrow. Do you think it was the prize that appealed to Robin about the contest or was it something else?

To answer questions about The Adventures of Robin Hood, please sign up.
Haley Hamill Since Robin says, "The best archer will win a bright arrow. I want to win. The prize is so rich, and our sweet sheriff will present it," I don't think it was only the golden arrow that appealed to Robin. If it were, then Robin wouldn't have added the part about the sheriff. It's the golden arrow AND the fact that the sheriff was giving it out that appealed to Robin. I think Robin wanted to "stick it" to the sheriff by winning the contest since the sheriff and he are rivals of sorts. In addition, I think Robin wanted the probably rightful status of being the best archer in Nottinghamshire since he takes great pride in his archery skills. The contest was an easy and public way for Robin to claim that status. The golden arrow, it seems, was just a consolation prize to Robin in both cases.
Sam Eure Although I'm sure Robin would love to have an arrow made of gold, I believe his primary incentive for entering the competition was his love of sport and a desire to show everyone the work of the best archer of the land. Recall that Robin became an outlaw after killing one of the sheriff's men while on the way to an archery competition -- a competition which he was never able to compete in!
Image for The Adventures of Robin Hood