Goodreads asked Pamela J. Dodd:

Pamela J. Dodd There is a bit more about my "getting into print" story over on my website, but here is my usual advice for aspiring writers:

There isn’t a rule book, of course, here are some things that I have learned:
•Do get professional help in editing. I have thirty years of experience evaluating writing, but my editors have helped me improve and pointed out problems that I totally missed. Poor editing keeps many books out of print, and it can make authors who have real talent look bad. People who decide to self-publish ought to seek a good editor, because poorly edited books make self-publishing a risky business.
•Do keep writing. If the first efforts don’t provide the success you want, keep at it. Experience is a great teacher.
•Don’t take rejection personally. (That one is hard, though. Really hard.)
•Don’t expect to get rich. Not everyone you know will buy your book, and getting people who don’t know something about you to buy it can be even more difficult.