sana
sana asked:

I'm trying to read this to my little sister but she doesn't seem to like it. We read Charlotte's Web before and she loved it, but she says there are too many characters. She's nine. Should I wait a year or two to try it again, or will it get better? We're on chapter 4.

To answer questions about The Secret Garden, please sign up.
A Bit of Earth It does start off a bit slow and the pace of the book itself is not very fast. There are some mysteries that start to develop as the story goes on which may increase some interest, but the story itself depends much more on the characters than on an overarching plot.

Readers who tend to care more about characters than plot when they read will probably really enjoy this book. The characters are very realistic and well-developed, and Burnett gives them very compelling arcs. However, readers who tend to care more about plot than characters when they read will likely find this story lacking or maybe even a little boring.
The plot isn't so much a plot in the traditional sense as much as it is the characters' internal struggles and their discovery of the healing power of friendship and hope.

It's really up to you and your sister and what you like and enjoy when you read. I think it picks up and is comparable to Charlotte's Web in terms of pacing, but when I tried to read it to my little sister (who loves plots much more than characters) she found it boring.
If you decide to hold off on reading it now, I would definitely recommend trying again in a few years. It's a great book and a really beautiful story especially for a character-driven reader.
Image for The Secret Garden