Linda
Linda asked:

This is so hard to believe. A 6 year old, left alone to care for herself with only a haphazard father who reappears from time to time. Does it ever become believable?

To answer questions about Where the Crawdads Sing, please sign up.
George She doesn't do it all that well, at first.
Cathy Sargent I struggled with that too, and maybe didn't ever get completely over it. I'll think of it this way: when Ma left, she still had Jodie, who taught her a lot about how to get along. When Jodie left, it could have been all over for her if Pa had not stayed around sporadically and had Kya not learned how to play him. But ultimately you know he'll let her down. Fortunately, at the point things get really rough, she has an ally in Jumpin' and Mabel and a couple of other townspeople whose attention to her isn't explained until later. And then a secret friend takes her under his wing. So I won't liken her to Tarzan or Mowgli who had ONLY animal friends! :)
Image for Where the Crawdads Sing
by Delia Owens (Goodreads Author)