A Goodreads user asked Jill H. O’Bones:

What inspired You to be a writer? Tell me some more, about Your books? Best regards: A. Tomov – junior

Jill H. O’Bones I've always enjoyed making up stories, I still have my story about a super dog that I wrote in elementary school. Writing for me, has come in spurts, like a hobby, something will get my attention; a dream, something someone said, something that I heard about in the news, or I just asked, 'what would happen if...?' And I would write, but never a complete story, that didn't happen until 2010. I woke up from a dream, wrote down the idea, then a few weeks later another dream, and when I wrote that down, it kept going. That story is waiting for a rewrite, as is the idea for the story that hit me after my son asked, 'what would you do if your story was made into a movie?'
But when I wrote 'A Vow of Tears', which was at first titled 'Reality', the writing bug and taken me over and I wrote and wrote and wrote.
And then I found Createspace and I thought it would be cool to put my story into book form; something for my son to be able to show his kids and tell them that their Grandmother wrote it. I never intended to publish, publish it, that came after a few friends asked me for copies, and then for the sequel.
My son is who inspired me to take my hobby and become a writer. He was the inspiration for Eric in 'A Vow of Tears', and what I would do to protect him. The vampires came in when I asked myself, "What if?"