Heather
Heather asked:

What if the roles were reversed – if the Dominant was a female and the Submissive a male – would we still have such a problem with this and call the relationship abusive, or would we just think the book was kinky and weird (perhaps almost comical) then?

To answer questions about Fifty Shades of Grey, please sign up.
Jen If a woman treated a man the way Grey treats Ana, then yes, I would think it was abusive. If a woman chased down a man who went to visit his parents because he didn't ask her permission? Yes. If she ordered him to eat? Yes. But then it would never have become a big hit, or be made into a movie.
Reborn My problem with this is on a literary level. But, yes, if the main characters switched roles, it is still an abusive relationship.

If you want to read a good book about sex and an abusive relationship (written realistically), I recommend Lolita.
Image for Fifty Shades of Grey
by E.L. James (Goodreads Author)