Fenris
Fenris asked:

I read and loved Miéville's Railsea and highly recommend it. I then tried to read Kraken, but parts of that one were too disturbing and I had to stop reading it. I wanted to try reading his Bas Lag novels but after reading a few excerpts I realized they would be too weird and unsettling for me. Does The City contain a lot of the "new weird" type of science fiction, or is it relatively tame?

To answer questions about The City & the City, please sign up.
Thomas This book is science fiction only on VERY tangential definition of it. I believe it's called speculative fiction. There is nothing supernatural or futuristic about it, no "new weird" or horror. It's basically political / philosophical crime thriller. It's as down to earth as this very interesting and complex idea behind it allows it to be.
Image for The City & the City
by China Miéville (Goodreads Author)