Steve Wylie
Steve Wylie asked:

I'm not really enjoying it. I read so much praise for the books, but I am surprised. I came to see if others felt the same way and I see I am not alone. This is not an easy read. That's okay, but the subject matter is horrible to me. Does it ever get better or at least pay off? I'm not sure I want to continue.

To answer questions about Black Leopard, Red Wolf, please sign up.
Stephanie I somewhat agree with the previous answer. Once you get past the very long set up and get a handle on the prose, it opens up a little. It is a lot better to have the main plot to hold onto. But if you don't like the subject now, you likely won't later on. *Mild spoiler* Any parts that get better just serve to make everything hurt more later on. I wouldn't consider anything I read a payoff. I pushed through reading this for 3 weeks and now regret the time lost. But we've all different, so YMMV. A lot of people here seem to have enjoyed it.
Boy Blue The first 100 pages are like fighting through a bewitched jungle with dense, thorny undergrowth, where down is up and everyone is speaking in unfamiliar tongues. You have to push through and soak it all up because around page 100 you will find yourself in a clearing and everything will start to resolve itself, the main plot will start to take shape, the crew will assemble. The story moves from viscera to visceral (well not fully). Essentially the quest narrative begins around page 100.
Image for Black Leopard, Red Wolf