Wes Reib
Wes Reib asked:

I wonder what young readers think makes for a good novel. Obviously a good plot, well drawn characters, action and the like, but are there other factors one should consider which appeal to the YA market? My novels, which are found in the Smashwords site under my penname Gabriel Darke, ought to appeal to readers young and old but I have yet to realize any success with them. I would appreciate any helpful advice.

To answer questions about The Death Cure, please sign up.
Anne Martin I wish I would know. Those books are not good, in reality. Hidden behind the boy scout appearance of the boys, it is much closer to a spy story, with traitorous alliances, murders, violence, etc... No sexual part, or not really, but the rest is kind of horrific when you think of it. The writer has created an alternate universe, dystopian which seems to be the recipe for success. I agree, you want to know what happens next, but the heroes are not likable, the books are much too long and it gets to be boring.
I don't know your novels. I found Smashwords and looked, but you don't have a free one. Why don't you put one on Wattpad, where they can be read for free, but can bring you some fame? to be cynical, I am not going to spend $2 for a novel when I can find thousands of free ones. Unless, of course, it is appealing enough by word of mouth mostly.
I believe ya readers don't want technology -nothing is explained in the Maze Runner, and not too much action -same, what happens in the Maze Runner is a lot less than in a John Le Carre's novel, if you compare chapters. They accept long books, much more than most adults (I got fed up with the books in the middle of the first one).
I don't know how to pinpoint what they like. Maybe go to Wattpad and read some of the books which have been published. Good luck.
Image for The Death Cure
by James Dashner (Goodreads Author)