Donna Campanella

The story is good, but does anyone find it a hard read? Overly wordy?

To answer questions about The Water Dancer, please sign up.
Kara Lewis I am finding it surprisingly dry. I recognize that it's well written, but man, am I bored. It's very possibly going to be a dnf for me.
Rich i definitely found it to be a hard read. Coates is very good at description, but the subject matter is tough. Did not finish. Just couldn't give my attention to the story anymoe.
Mary Lou I thought it read easily, smoothly. I occasionally found myself reading phrases again just for the pleasure of their construction. I think it helped that I knew some of the source inspiration for parts of the story and I was intrigued by its use. Now that I've finished it (library copy), I may have to buy the e-book to read it again.
Jennifer Smith I am glad I'm not the only one. Yes, I am finding it overly wordy and perhaps a bit too much of the "magical" for me. Subject matter is tough. Like Karen L. said, I appreciate that it is well written, even masterful, but still finding it a tough plough. Between the magical realism and the close inspection of the dark & ugly side of human behaviour, perhaps it's just not my genre.
Mike If you find it hard to follow, I suggest the audible version, read by Joe Morton.
Denise I enjoyed it, but I did find it a little long.
Rick I do not find it hard to read, nor overly wordy. To me, it is masterful, brilliant.
Strong Belwas I think it is a result of the sentence structure being based off tacking clauses on to add ideas. It took me a short bit to get used to.
Image for The Water Dancer