Sharon Banitt
Sharon Banitt asked:

H.G. Wells seems to have a pattern of other lovers. How does that affect his relationship with his wife Jane and these other women?

To answer questions about The Lodger, please sign up.
Louisa Treger H.G Wells had many lovers, and his wife, Jane, accepted them without protest, though I am sure they hurt her deeply. At the same time, there was a strong unbreakable bond between him and Jane - they couldn’t do without each other.
His lovers had to accept that Jane was an unnegotiable part of the deal - some found this harder than others. But his affairs were more than a casual fling - he was always searching for someone who would make him feel complete. He called this ideal 'the other half of my androgynous self I had lost and had to find again.’ Expecting so much, he was invariably disappointed.
In short, it was a complicated situation. Everyone involved gained something, but got hurt in the process.
Image for The Lodger
by Louisa Treger (Goodreads Author)