Kathy
Kathy asked:

Based on the Goodreads summary, I am very sad to see that the author doesn't understand about the Higher Power of AA. AA's Higher Power can be male or female or God or Nature or whatever works for the person who suffers from addiction. How can I read a book written by someone who speaks against such a wonderful organization?

Catherine I suggest you read the book! Holly doesn't take issue with the Higher Power aspect of AA (and her higher power isn't an eagle as the reviewer below claims.) She supports those who have had positive experiences with AA and acknowledges that it has worked for many people. The main thrust of her argument is that it was developed by and for men and as such can be disempowering to women. I know Holly believes that there's no wrong way to recover. She's offering another way. She had an opinion piece recently in the NY Times explaining her perspective: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/op...
Kirstin AA has been around for a long, long, long time. It works for many. It doesn't work for all. If it worked for you, kudos. Some women use pads, some use tampons, some use a menstrual cup. There's no reason not to explore all your options, and no need to be critical of someone who has discovered another way.
Eva It's clear that you haven't read the book. If you do, you'll understand her personal reasons for rejecting AA and that she respects everyone's right to recover in their own way.
Katherine Verevkina I would suggest reading it. The author definitely doesn't speak against the organization; she just says that it didn't work for her and that people need to make the decision for themselves what work and what doesn't. Really the only thing she says is that the 12 step program is largely seen as the only program that "works" and speaks against the mentality that people will fail if they don't participate in the program. But she's very clear in it that it DOES work for many people & that everyone just needs to find what is best for them.

There are parts of the book that I really enjoyed and agreed with and there were parts that I didn't agree with. Overall, I think it's worth reading
Jean You don't have to read the book. It's completely up to you.
Jess I think she understands very well. Perhaps you should explore her work.
Anne Marie The title of Holly's book is disappointing when her own decision to quit alcohol was inspired by Alan Carr. Holly's higher power is an eagle. AA never locked her out on the basis of her gender. The tone of her book is now looking very last decade.
Megan AA was built for cishet, white, religious men in the 30s - Holly explains how this is evidence of ongoing patriarchy in our culture. I happen to agree with her, but you should read the book before make sweeping judgments.
Ginny Sullivan I didn't care for the book. I liked the feminist approach, but I too thought perhaps she doesn't really understands that the program is just that - a 12 step program for self discovery and spiritual growth. For the book - it is an interesting premise and she makes some fascinating points. My summation: "Present day yoga teacher who doesn’t like AA and offers her approach. Occasionally questionable fact checking - but overall thought provoking." And if some people can improve their lives through this approach, then that's wonderful.
Chris i cannot agree. You need to read the book more carefully. She reviewed the existing approaches and found her own which cannot be denied
Image for Quit Like a Woman
by Holly Whitaker (Goodreads Author)