Chad
Chad asked:

Please tell me that this is a return to form for Gibson as a science fiction writer and not another book about pants?

To answer questions about The Peripheral, please sign up.
Kevin Calman There are pants, but they were custom-printed at the Fabbit in the derelict strip center, not at the HeftyMart on the edge of town.
John Jr. As a quick estimate, I'd say that Gibson has always been interested in subcultures, that his earlier fiction explored those in futuristic settings and his later books have dwelt on the near present, and that this one turns again to the future, with a good deal of technology involved. I'd also say that the way the story unfolds here is more complicated and elusive than in his earlier books, which makes it more challenging and (for me) more rewarding.
Mer It's spectacularly inventive and imaginative science-fiction. :-)

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2014/...
Joanne Annabannabobanna "Gibson is not a difficult writer but he is demanding, and here those demands are well rewarded. The Peripheral is a pop science fiction thriller that will make you think."
Alex Good, special to the Toronto Star, Nov. 16, 2014
Jenny (Reading Envy) And miss out on everyone's favorite black jeans?
Liz I don't remember much about pants in "The Peripheral." But I remember black Gothic gowns, moving tattoos of animals, eyes with double "figure-eight" irises, people mentally traveling between times by sending their consciousness into human-like robots to explore the future and I-phones on wheels to explore the past, and lots of Red Bull.
Mike Nuell It's Gibson taking the literary sensibilities he evolved into with the Blue Ant Trilogy, and returning to proper Sci-Fi with the coolest time-travel story to date. Arguably his finest novel.
Rhys Morgan He glances up against the leviathans like Wintermute but filtered through the London haze of the drunk, the uninformed, and the jaded. Darker, more violent, and more speculative than the last couple of books. You can just catch the little twinkles of scintillating tentacles in the abyss when you look down from the relatively current Americana .
Mark It doesn't appear as if he's doing "cool hunting" if that's what you mean; but no, he has not headed back to The Sprawl or The Bridge. After all, the "unequally distributed" future has caught up to him--Google Glass vs. Virtual Light.
Jack It's as close to a modern day Neuromancer as we can get, and in some ways so much more. Less pulp fiction and more speculative future, but there is enough fascinating sci-fi here to please fans of Gibsons older works that may have become disinterested in his writing the closer it edged towards the here and now.
Paul Callahan Not pants as far as I can tell, but possibly about jackets and headgear. Also tattoos. I found descriptive passages are best appreciated by reading them out loud in a Grampa Simpson voice: "... after they left the car by the gate, she saw it wasn’t a mandolin but an Army rifle that looked like it had been telescoped back into itself, squashed front to back. A bullpup, they called that. Reece had a ball cap pulled down level with his eyebrows, .... Flynne watched a pixelated blob of tan migrate a little closer to where the button would have been on a regular ball cap. They didn’t have a button, Marine caps, because if someone hit you on top of your head, they could drive the button into your skull."
Dukezhou no offense, but if gabble ratchets aren't registering on your awesomeness meter, it needs to be re-aligned. That said, Peripheral is straight up sci-fi, in a fresh style, but with that inimitable Gibson outlook. imo it's an extraordinary book.
Chris Myers He never left form, our world has just gotten shittier and more complicated. If you're talking about the rayguns and spaceships stuff (e.i. what swords and dragons do for fantasy) then you'll be happy here. But then again you may also be just as happy with https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
CJ At one point our protagonist is not wearing any and needs to put on some jeans. Not specified if they are Gabriel Hounds. You can pretend they are if that works for you.
Charles Flynne's 'London' pants have seams that are purely ornamental, them having been fabbed as a single piece.
Gary Bridgman What if that Gabriel Hounds line of clothing in Zero History had anti-gravity capabilities or Dark Web access?
I guess my point is that WG is a talented enough story teller to use boring things as windows into more interesting topics or to set up a BANG-POW plot twist:
>Teenage fangirls of an aging pop star in Idoru
>Browser history popdown in Pattern Recognition
>Wristwatches in All Tomorrow's Parties
>Intermodal containers in Spook Country

He didn't do this in the Sprawl trilogy, I think, because he was still making his career in a commercial genre, albeit with artistic credibility.
Glauber Ribeiro
John IMHO he has never left SF. He has said more than once that the "Bigend"/'Blue Ant") trilogy of "Pattern Recognition", "Spook Country" and "Zero History" uses the "toolkit of science fiction".
Image for The Peripheral