Mary
Mary asked:

My usual question: okay for high schoolers? I have a group of HS readers who come to me for books other than YA titles. The purchaser would say ixnay (more fantasy! more dystopia! more simple present tense!), but I have a group of readers who would be fine with it. All of Jeannette Walls' books fly off the shelves, so why not this? Opinion, please and thanks.

Maureen Stanton I hope you don't mind the author chiming in on this. I read a section of the book to high school girls in Maine and they loved it. Their comments were that even though it was a different generation, they found it so relatable; we had a lovely conversation after the reading. The voice of the teenage girl and her concerns, in spite of generational differences, was so familiar to them still. I've had letters from parents who've given this to their teenagers, or to other parents whose teens are struggling. There are very few memoirs of teenage girls that tell the story from the voice and consciousness of a 15 or 16 year old. (Sadly, "Go Ask Alice shows up on many suggested reading lists for teens, which is outdated but also a debunked fake memoir.) And here are some excerpt from reviews related to your concern: "An informative intelligent read for anyone, young or old, trying to make sense of teenage rebellion" - BookPage; "Teens will be drawn to Stanton's account of her youth and may identify with her struggles" -- Booklist (ALA review); "An honest and brave book that has the potential to help those struggling today with addiction, substance abuse, or mental-health issues" - Lowell Sun; "Gaining depth and insight from the experiences she so eloquently describes may offer great hope to those who need it most" - San Francisco Review. I am currently working on an instructor's guide with my publisher for high school adoption of this memoir. I'd be happy to answer other questions you have here or through my website: www.maureenstantonwriter.com
Image for Body Leaping Backward
by Maureen Stanton (Goodreads Author)