Suzanne
Suzanne asked:

Does anyone know about the inspiration for Donna Tartt for The Goldfinch?

To answer questions about The Goldfinch, please sign up.
Jade I'm not sure what her inspiration was beyond the painting of The Goldfinch by Carel Fabritius, but I do know that she's had goldfinches on the brain for at least twenty years! After reading this book (which I loved!) I read some interviews with Donna Tartt, including the 1992 Vanity Fair interview that came out right before The Secret History was published. This is the last paragraph of that interview:

"Suddenly she spots, with delight, a whirling flock of goldfinches. 'Look at these goldfinches - do you see?' she cries. 'Goldfinches are the greatest little birds, because they build their nests in the spring, a long time after all the other birds do. They're the last to settle down - they just fly around and they're happy for a long time, and just sing and play. And only when it's insanely late in the year, they kind of break down and build their nests. I love goldfinches,' she sighs, huddling tinily in the big car seat. 'They're my favorite bird.'" (Crazy, right?)
Mommooshka I saw a video of an interview with Tartt from a link on The Goldfinch page of the GoodReads website where she said one of her inspirations was her horror over the destruction of the Buddahs of Bamiyan by the Taliban in 2001.
Kay I'm not sure of the exact answer for this, as I have not heard the author speak to it in the few interviews I've read, but I would assume that much of the inspiration for the plot comes from the art world itself, as many of the paintings mentioned were stolen, at some point or another.
Image for The Goldfinch