Robert
Robert asked Michael J. Martinez:

Mr. Martinez. I'm currently listening to book 2 in your series and I was wondering what influences you had when you were crafting your world. Also, do you have any plans to do anything with the history of Weatherby's universe? I definitely wouldn't mind hearing some tales about the ancient civilizations on Mars and the other worlds. Thanks!

Michael J. Martinez Hi, Robert! Thanks for the question. Aside from the obvious naval-fiction influences (Aubrey/Maturin, Hornblower), I would say that my depiction of the Known Worlds is rooted in pulp fiction. Venus as jungle, Mars as desert -- they're fun tropes to play with. History also played an important world-building role; I chose alchemy as the "engine" of Void travel because of its prevalence as a pseudo-science during the period.

As for backstory and history, I hadn't really considered doing anything big with it, though I suppose I could. There's a ton of material I used to build out the universe that has yet to be included in the books. It's there mostly to be sure what I write has a logic to it. But hey, if there's demand for it, you never know!