Kathleen
Kathleen asked:

I am seeking books to diversify my collection, especially with "own voices" stories. I don't think the author of this book is Korean but it appears to be a collection of interviews of Korean people. Would anyone who has read this let me know if the author's representation of the interviews puts this book in the "own voices" category?

H. Atmenmeer Yes. I think you can definitely call this a collection of "own voices". That is the point of the book. To give North Koreans a forum to express themselves directly to us. It is curated and edited but it feels quite raw. It is a collection of newspaper columns on various subjects. A varied selection of witness statements.
Steph It's in a Q&A format, and the answers following the questions are translated responses from actual defectors. They do seem to be in their "own voices" and mostly unedited aside from the translation.
Image for Ask A North Korean