Goodreads asked Maxine Billings:

Maxine Billings To sum it up in one word: LIFE. To elaborate, there is so much that we have to endure in life on a daily basis. Therefore, I am always inspired to write stories about some facet of life that tests us as imperfect humans. But since I can't possibly write all of the stories at once, I try to select one where the main topic is one that is having a huge impact on people.

As far as actually sitting down to write the story, I have to partially contribute that to my characters. That may sound crazy to some, but they really do help guide me in writing their story.

Also, sometimes, listening to things in the news and to some of my favorite music (jazz and R & B) that pertain to whatever obstacle my characters are facing helps the writing juices to flow.