Ana
Ana asked:

Is this inspired by a particular folklore? It sounds extremely familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. ....no really the question it eating away at me.

To answer questions about Master Song, please sign up.
Andrew Maloney Yes, it is. Primarily by Celtic mythology, though many cultures have a "time-between-times," or magic hour of the day, as well as a concept of Greenmen, though I have taken a LOT of artistic license in creating my version of the Coedaoine (Treepeople.)

Generally, Greenmen are a kind of symbol for rebirth (they show up in a lot of church architecture), but I've not read many folktales wherein the Greenmen have any kind of magic, as mine do in the form of Singing.

One could possibly argue the classic Ents of LotR mythology were inspired by Greenmen, though in The Master Song, they are much more humanlike in appearance, and not like giant walking trees.

The Aossi are an amalgam of "Fair Folk" mythology, Aos Sidhe, but again I put my own spin on them.

All the details surrounding the Song, the gemstones, the Verses, the Awakened and the Corrupted are "made up." I got the idea while playing Legend of Zelda, so I don't deny they're all influenced in some way by my love for mythology and fantasy -- and I'm sure a careful reader could draw correlations with just about anything presented in the novel. I think that's wonderful!

Mr Lawhead wrote a fantastic series entitled The Song of Albion, which centers around a time-between-times, but the two series (mine and his) are significantly different, even though they both contain the word "Song" in the title. *smile* Still, Blue Time is a sort of homage to his works.

Book 2 is influenced by Native American mythology, but still contains all the same Celtic influences from Book 1, and as the series continues, I have plans to start blending many different elements from world myths.

Hey, thanks very much for asking your question! I really appreciate you taking the time!
Image for Master Song
by Andrew Maloney (Goodreads Author)