Josée Larose
Josée Larose asked:

I fail to understand why Jean-Guy equates Paris to freedom. Gamache and Reine-Marie have been saviors to him, and he loves them. Annie loves her parents and they adore their grand-children. They all get along, respect and support each other. And Gamache's son and children have also left him for Paris some years ago. Why does JGB have to change continent and do that to Gamache when he can just change jobs?

To answer questions about A Better Man, please sign up.
Dawn Epton Jean-Guy has paid a heavy price for staying with the Sûrété. He nearly lost his life in the big raid, where Armand left him with the words “I love you” and went to help others. Subsequently he hit rock bottom, as an addict. Life has been torturous and, though he adores his wife’s family, he needs a complete break from the familiar.
Jean Guy needs a fresh place to begin the next chapter in life.
That said, I am saddened by the separation of our two hero protagonists.
Image for A Better Man
by Louise Penny (Goodreads Author)