Rose Gan
Rose Gan asked:

anyone else wonder about what looks like an inconsistency in a name early on? Page 36-7 mentions one of the West Saxon leaders ships who was on the ship called ‘Haelubearn’ was a famed warrior called Egbert, big man with a scarred face unknown to Uthred. On page 31 He is referred to as Edgar, not his real name. Uthred later recognises him and gives his actual name. Did this typo slip through unnoticed? Egbert/Edgar?

To answer questions about Sword of Kings, please sign up.
Alasandra Alawine I don't see any mention of an Egbert or Edgar on page 31. In fact page 31 consist of Egil (one of Uhtred's men) discussing what they should do with the prisoners and boats. I think you mean page 43. And yes it does look like a proof reader let this name change slip through. Although I suppose it could be put down to it being a fake name so the men might be confused about who is being called what. But I think most likely some spell check program didn't recognize the name Egbert and changed it to Edgar and the proof reader didn't catch it.
NekroRider Yeah I noticed that as well. There are a couple name errors/swaps that weren't caught in the editing, namely Egbert/Edgar and at one point Aelswyth and Eadith's names are accidentally swapped too. I wasn't bothered by it but was surprised because usually Cornwell has great editing.
Image for Sword of Kings
by Bernard Cornwell (Goodreads Author)