Achyut
Achyut asked:

I read this book months ago and i'm sorry if this question may seem so trivial. I have still not quite understood why the murders had to be so brutal. When i was reading the book, i was hoping for an explanation for the bizarre methods of killing the family. Or have i missed something? Thanks.

To answer questions about Zero Day, please sign up.
Angela Cerino I think they wanted it to appear as though some gang or drug lord had committed the murders.
Heather I agree! It wasn't necessary to kill the innocent teenagers and wife! They wouldn't have been able to do much. The murderers should have just killed Reynolds, not the whole family. It wasn't necessary to kill the police officer, either. Crazy killers!
Global Method Interesting how we humans can have such different opinions ... I finished this book, after having read all the Jack Reacher books and commented to my wife that the violence was much toned down compared to Reacher's ... :-) ...

but my opinion, to answer your question, this world is just so violent and different from what we 'regular' people are connected with that they have a whole different code to stay alive ... they often must kill ruthlessly to assert themself over evil ... hope that helps
Will Thor writes for a living. He probably wanted to develop a terrorist theme as Angela and Jean suggest but ran out of time and failed to finish editing his book. Still I enjoyed this book as I have enjoy his other novels. I especially like it that his hero would not stand out in most crowds and SPOILER ALERT he will let important people die.
Jean Cole SPOILER ALERT: Two possible answers come to mind for me. One -- the bad guys made the murders particularly gruesome and staged the video taping of the bodies as a "red herring" to make people think it was foreign terrorists. Two -- since the person who eventually did see the video was part of the domestic security force, it was a device by Baldacci to make that person seem even more evil and on a par with the foreign terrorists.
Arya Dutta Maybe the murderers wanted Puller n Cole to work their brains a lil more.. :)
Or maybe someone has a better answer!!
Image for Zero Day
by David Baldacci (Goodreads Author)