I'm looking for more books about characters who are obsessed with one or more of the sensual pleasures of life.

To answer questions about Lolita, please sign up.
Øyvind Death in Venice by Thomas Mann is wonderful and scary.
Morgan Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby come to my mind.
Alexandra I too have been searching for books of that description lately, but I can't seem to find any new ones. The Picture of Dorian Grey is one I read a long time ago which may fit the bill, but I was quite young and it may have struck me as more dramatic and sensual than it really is.

Another example is Perfume: the Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. The story is essentially built around two main themes: obsession and the olfactory sense, both of which are beautifully brought to life by the rich prose, from which translation does not detract (at least not in anyway I could see).

I'm not sure if it counts, but Joanne Harris' book Chocolat was very heavily based around the pleasure of taste, often portraying it in a particularly hedonistic light.

Regretfully, that's all I can come up with. Hope at least one of them will prove useful!
Image for Lolita