I'm looking for more books about characters who are obsessed with one or more of the sensual pleasures of life.

To answer questions about Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, please sign up.
Maria The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Tim
Anne You might like "The Phantom of the Opera" (the book) too! By Gaston Leroux.. A similarity: He also just wants to be loved.. One of my personal favourites
Deborah Pickstone Well....Justine, obviously. Augustine's 'Confessions' (sex/sin), 'Dangerous Liaisons', 'Opium Fiend' - Steven Martin, 'Big Brother' - Lionel Shriver
Raphael Lindtburgh The silence of Light (Das schweigen des Lichtes) by Niel Flemming. Only in german language at the moment but really thrilling. It is about a French couturier in the 1920 who's obsessed with colours. He's also trying to achieve eternal beauty with very unconventional methods. Clearly on of my recommendations.
Nilay Atlıoğlu the collecter by john fowles
Olga Do you prefer contamporary stuff, otherwise or both?
Chuck Palahniuk has a lot of books about maniacs but his writing is a bit overwhelming.
That's just off the top of my head but I could recommend more if you give me a heads up on your taste:)
Nikolaos D. Skordilis Look up Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume if you haven't read it. If you liked Süskind's book I'm sure you'll also like that. As the title suggests it is also -largely- about the sense of smell but it is a *very* different book.
Kathy Sounds like you're looking for Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel.
NathiBu Milan Kundera is the answer for you
Paul O'Reilly I've recently re-read The Picture of Dorian Grey and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, also watched film versions of them, something I've done a lot of during the covid pandemic isolation.
Judy Lindow Well. The Collector by John Fowles (if it's obsession and collecting), Oscar and Lucinda (if it's obsession, compulsion, and gambling) ... I find that most stories about love and sex often have obsession and compulsion as a cornerstone ... however in this case, carnality includes so many sensual pleasures - touch, smell, sight ... I wonder if there's a word for being one-sense oriented.
Jim Keough bill clinton's memoirs
Kevin Archard You could try my book 'Vulnerable' it encompasses many sensual excesses including white witchcraft!
Paul try Anaïs Nin ;-)
Stephanie Sweetbitter! Just finished it.
Travis The Last Banquet
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
This book also is set in France, during the French Revolution. However, this character is obsessed with taste and will eat anything. It may not have the prose of Perfume but is very similar in feeling.
Daria Tyuneva Remainder by Paul McCarthy - he's obsessed with re-creating his 'memories', to describe it briefly.
Kelly Kat American Psycho would probably fit
Russell Bittner Selfishly, TROMPE-l'OEIL.

The source of the principal (female) character's obsession, however, is a psychological disorder. This may or may not be to your liking.

Russell
Harry Doble Dean Koontz - Intensity
Αντιγόνη Σιώμου Do you like any Gothic fiction? Sure you can find many obsessed characters there..!
Image for Perfume