Marlene
Marlene asked:

Late in the book, Gamache goes to the Command Center and leaves Reine- Marie at home with Lysette and Robert Cameron. This seemed very odd to me in that they were both suspicious making Reine-Marie vulnerable. Also late in the book Cameron is watching Tracey’s house wanting him to come out. Shortly after we see Tracey has left the house??? Why have Cameron watching the house?

To answer questions about A Better Man, please sign up.
Andrea In my opinion, this is a huge flaw by the writer. In a lot of her books, things are done that would be completely against police protocol. (I worked as an investigator in a police department in the U.S.) Another thing this writer often does is have Gamache (and others in the department) freely discussing evidence with other citizens in Three Pines. Discussing generalities with your loved ones - and not using names - is sometimes done. But in Three Pines, Gamache not only uses names; he introduces suspects and witnesses to his friends and family in Three Pines! Ridiculous and would be considered unprofessional at best, and against rules & regs (if not illegal) at worst, whether in U.S. or Canada.
Image for A Better Man
by Louise Penny (Goodreads Author)