Sissy Van Dyke

How do you think the book compares to James Joyce's Ulysses?

To answer questions about How Late it Was, How Late, please sign up.
Kevin Tole Thats a rare insight - the comparative merits of Jimmy Kelman versus Irvine Welsh. That one wouldn't last too far past round two. Bold Westerhays gets in a few good punches in the first round wih Trainspotting even managing a bit a pathos and gut reality before descending into the utter shite in round two of pish like 'Filth' which is up there with some of the worst books I have left on a transatlantic flight. The bold Weggie Jimmy's been roon the blocks and knows a few things from 'The Burn' and 'The Bus Conductor' to writing about dunking yer mate under when he falls in a vat of acid let alone 'A Disaffection' and 'How Late..'. Its yet to be seen how he'll come back from garbage (OK - my assessment on his personal scale from the heights of the short stories, A Disaffection and How Late...) like 'You Have to be Careful....'
Jimmy Kelman is a great writer. No point in compay=ring him to Joyce or Beckett or whoever. He's jusat a great writer. Something Irvine Welsh wanted to be till Trainspotting made him famous with the Yoof.
Alan Wilson Not at all, except through the channel of influence trickling down through Joyce / Beckett / Kelman. It is certainly similar to the interior monologue style of, say, Molloy, and those commonalities are even more pronounced comparing Patrick Doyle's monologues (A Disaffection) with Molloy's. Ulysses was the events of one day (two days bookending one night actually) but was a voyage across a vast literary planet whereas How Late was over a longer timeframe (a week) but in scope just a blind scrambling ramble around a few blocks of Glasgow. The two works just can't be compared in literary scale, but I loved How Late. I even named my Jack Russell terrier Sammy (the bold Sammy) in honour. Would like to see a debate about the comparative merits of Kelman / Welsh rather than bringing Joyce or Beckett into the argument. What a travesty of justice that one!
Image for How Late it Was, How Late