Goodreads asked Texas John:

Texas John I spent 5 years in China and read dozens of books about the culture while I was living there. A few years after I left I felt that most of the books about China fell into 4 categories.

1) English teacher goes to China for about a year, doesn't know the language or culture and writes about the experience, which is basically some amusing stories about culture shock.

2) CEO or General Manager goes to China and writes about the pros and cons of joint ventures, and how to manage a large company there.

3) Person goes to China learns the language and culture but lives in the middle of nowhere and never does anything interesting.

4) A list of bunch of things to do and not to do that aren't properly explained or have no consequence to your life if you live there. Example: where to sit at a Chinese banquet...seats are assigned, so it isn't really important or matter in your day to day life.

So I decided to write a book that teaches what you need to know with real life stories that are funny and entertaining.

I am confident you will learn more in this book about the Chinese and dealing with them in your daily life, at work, or in a relationship than any other book that you have read. What to do, what not to do, and most importantly why.

If you have read a book about China and it didn't properly explain and give examples of the concepts of harmony and face vs truth then you didn't learn the two most important aspects of the culture.

None of the books I read covered these topics properly, so that is why I wrote my book.