Dory Codington

This is one of the books that has stayed with me. I was just writing a character named Dodi and thought about that doll, Dido. This is a wonderful book. Anyone else feel the Ruth M. Arthur books led to a lifetime of reading mystery romances, like Victoria Holt?

To answer questions about A Candle in Her Room, please sign up.
Deborah This was the only book of hers I ever heard of. I loved it, and so much so, that I spent many, many years scouring 2nd hand book shops and out-of-print book searchers trying to get a copy. Thanks to the internet it is so much easier now. I did used to read my mother's gothic romances, but eventually realised the romance element wasn't the key for me- it was always the terrifying mystery.......
Jennifer Yes, it's a book that has haunted me since I read it as a teenager. I'm going to have to read it again as an adult. I remember being quite frightened by the ending, I think. Hard to know, sometimes, whether it was the book or the time of life that made it so influential. I've just re-read My Cousin Rachel, by Daphne Du Maurier, and that was also very influential and hard to shake.
Debra Vucko This book was my absolute favourite book in elementary school. I first read it in Grade 5. I searched for many years for the book as I could not remember the exact title. Thanks to perseverance, I eventually located a copy through AbeBooks. The story haunted me for years, and rereading it as an adult was no less thrilling for me.
Juliet Robertson I loved this book,it trancended all others.I read it when I was about 11,and have a copy somewhere(I think). A fantastic writer-Ms Arthur has as much status as Dickens,IMO.
K Yes, it definitely did for me. I loved Ruth M Arthur and others like her, graduating to Victoria Holt in my teens and early adulthood 😁
Ellen Ekstrom Like Jennifer, this book has haunted me for years. Every now and then I think about it, and read it when I was 18.
James Mccormack I read it 40 years ago. Looked it up because a picture reminded me of it. Never forgotten. Now I want to reread.
Image for A Candle in Her Room