Veronica
Veronica asked Amelia Smith:

Hi Amelia, I just finished your book and had a question for you. I had never heard of this shanty before. Where did you hear it and how did you come up with the idea of making it into a novella? By the way, I got it from you on LibrayThing and did review it here and also Amazon.ca and .com and also I will on my blog. Please let me know if you want me to put a review anywhere else.

Amelia Smith Hello Veronica,

Thank you for your review, and also for posting it beyond LibraryThing!

I cannot remember a time when I did not known the song "Eddystone Light." We used to sing around the fire it at family picnics when I was a kid, and I remember some debates about lyrics. I believe my relatives picked it up from a Burl Ives record they listened to in the 1950s and 60s, before I was born.

I never lost my interest in folk ballads and sung stories. As I was messing around as a writer, I thought it would be fun to try to put together a collection of short stories based on or inspired by folk songs. I started with this one, and it grew from a short story into a novella through several drafts and a couple of rounds of beta reader feedback.

I have a lot of non-folksong projects on my agenda right now, but I may turn back to this idea in the future.

Again, thank you for your review, and for your question.

--Amelia