Hilary Tofu
Hilary Tofu asked:

This book had several grey areas which I was a little confused about. Was Esme literally disappearing or just wishing to disappear? I thought it was just metaphorically, but in the story she practices her meditating that helps her "disappear." Also she shows up in photos as a blur. Also what was with that spectre in the garden or whatever? I was so confused who/what he was

To answer questions about The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, please sign up.
Deborah Allin Dissociation is a huge part of being traumatised. If you have carried a secret or had to hide a truth for fear of the impact, it was as if you had to disappear or disconnect so on some level she disappears because it is the only way she can survive in a world which does not allow her to exist. Also a thought. Could the spectre in the garden be the lost child or someone else associated to her, or the ghost of her painful experience.. just some thoughts.
Eileen Horgan
Rebecca I agree about grey areas, but mine were all plot related. I think the title is about how she disappears for 61 years! And part of the reason is that she's too vivid, too "present" for the society she's supposed to enter, yes? I don't remember the specter you're referring to--the only one I remember is the one Danielle refers to below.
Danielle "the spectre in the garden": do you mean when she runs into Jamie and hits him? He was the "spectre" until he caught up to her and she saw him.
Image for The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
by Maggie O'Farrell (Goodreads Author)