Susan
Susan asked:

To answer questions about The Miniaturist, please sign up.
Eva yeah it bothered me too. from wikipedia i saw that Nella Oortman had 4 children with Brandt...
Maggie I don't think that there is anything much known about Nella other than the cabinet. An interview that I read with Jessie Burton said that she just used that bit of info as a jumping off point.
Allison Shifman Chartier I didn't know that and just googled - what an odd choice to mix a real person, with their real name with so much else done as complete fiction. She wasn't that young, Marin never existed, who knows what else. I know other books have made similar choices, Carter Beats the Devil comes to mind, but I still don't get why that exact choice is ever made. Publicity? I wish no real people had their lives butchered in fiction.
Image for The Miniaturist