Kay
Kay asked:

What is this book about? I haven't read much of it but I have no idea.

To answer questions about Underworld, please sign up.
Sheila Kautman This book is about everything in the 50's. I am far from a genius, but I was deeply immersed into this book and really loved it. The world around me fell away when I was reading. Just amazing!!!!!
Byron Forney I think of it in terms of Grapes of Wrath being about the first half of the 20th Cent. in regarding migration, take over of land and farming by big corps. and the general reconstruction and relocation of American society and culture from a farming and agricultural society to the coming of a manufacturing society. Underworld is about the second half being the "cold war" society which has resulted from the same need for the accumulation power but done rather than through farming, through manufacturing all held together by the one thing we refuse to surrender, baseball used as metaphor. Remember, the core of the nuclear warhead is the exact same size as a baseball. I see the two stories back to back as the "story" of the 20th Cent.
Jim Bauerlein about America in the fifties...superb but really complex..i cannot read and follow without taking notes..love the language..all poetry.
Victoria I am about 100 pages into it, and so far it is about a baseball:) But it is clearly a work of absolute genius.
Image for Underworld